Monday, April 21, 2014

It's Faux Rusted Metal....No April Fools!

It's April Fools Faux Technique month over at Chicagoland Scrapbooker Magazine!!  And I chose to do a faux rusted metal technique I'd been wanting to try!  I've seen several tutorials on how to make a rusted metal look and I really love this simple version....I will say I don't recall WHERE I saw it....so I apologize in advance to the creative person who came up with it.  Maybe Tim Holtz for all I know!....lol.

Using 2 of Tim's lovely products....Vintage Photo Distress Stain, and Vintage Photo Embossing Powder, you can create what looks like a faux rusted metal.

I started with this wooden box you can find at most craft stores:




You start by painting your project with the stain....it does stay wet for a minute or so, but still best to work quickly, so I did a section at a time and the finished "rusty metal" looked like this:
 

Applying to one side of handle, one side of box, then same on the other side....it worked very well for me when I did this.

This project felt steampunk to me....so I went with that and created this:
 

I am absolutely in love with it....it will be holding some of my specialty pens/markers in my craft room.

Supplies I used to finish it:
Shattered Cardstock from Core'dinations is the blue/green base.  I sanded and distressed the edges, and inked with Vintage Photo Ink.
Graphic 45 paper (the Thesauri piece)...inked and distressed also.
Tim Holtz corners (bronze) gears (bronze) flower (bronze) and ticket....distressed....also used water to create drips.
Recollections bronze metal dots
Unique Laser Designs wooden feather....this was covered with bronze distress stain, then inked with Vintage Photo ink--and I brushed the edges with Gold Adirondack Paint Dauber.

Here's a little close up too to show off the details in that gorgeous feather:

 
Being my first project using the Unique Laser Designs wood product....I thought I'd link this up to their monthly project contest.  Would you like to play along too?  You can find it HERE.

Thanks for stopping by....do you have a technique you've been waiting to try?  Give it a go....you may love the result!!

2 comments:

  1. Great project ! I love the colors and how textured the box looks.

    Thanks for joining the Unique Laser Designs April Challenge (ULD products used).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura this is so cute. If you had not said so I would have believed that it was metal.

    ReplyDelete